Absenteeism, also known as absenteeism, is to physically or mentally miss systematic teaching or the workplace.
Absenteeism derives from English absentee, which begins to be used in 1829 to refer to English landowners in Ireland who were rarely present, plus the suffix -ism. Only in 1922 did the concept begin to be used to refer to the absence of students and employees.
The absenteeism is synonymous with absenteeism and can be used indifferently. Absenteeism is generally used in Spain while absenteeism is used in Spanish in America.
The causes of absenteeism are mainly associated with a low motivation in the workplace or school that must be studied by the human resources of the company or between teachers and parents in case of school absenteeism.
Truancy or truancy is a problem that hinders normal educational development. Absenteeism generates in students:
- Low performance
- Pedagogical delay regarding peers
- Behavioral problems (generate habit, cimarras, school indiscipline and repeated lies).
According to studies on the subject, the variables that most affect truancy are part of family dynamics. The lack of communication or lack of interest of the parents for the school life of their children determines a greater absence to systematic education.
To prevent truancy, family communication and parental involvement in their children’s activities should be improved. To do this, teachers play a fundamental role in strengthening ties.
Work absenteeism is the justified or unjustified absence, partial or temporary, of an official in your workplace.
Truancy is a problem that directly impacts:
- the operational manager: must coordinate operations by increasing the workload to others or have a collaborator with less experience or confidence,
- Human resources: when absenteeism is high, it must be assumed that there are problems of safety, health, motivation or breach of labor regulations that must be treated and,
- the direction: the absenteeism affects the costs of the company that affects competitiveness and efficiency, in turn conditioning the sustainability and growth of any business.
To avoid absenteeism in a company, the following measures must be taken into account:
- Leadership training: leadership supported by the company is important to motivate work groups.
- Training as a form of growth and opportunities, instead of being an obligation.
- Design of a balance or balance between work life and personal life.
- Clear, transparent and constant communication.