Roper, North Carolina has a population of approximately 1,400 people. The town is located in Washington County and is situated on the Roanoke River. The geography of Roper is mostly flat with a few rolling hills. The climate in Roper is mild with temperatures ranging from the high 30s to low 90s in the summer months. Check whicheverhealth for information about Alliance, North Carolina.
Roper has a rich history dating back to the early 1700s when it was first settled by English colonists. During the Civil War, Roper was an active site for battles and skirmishes between Union and Confederate forces. Today, Roper remains a small rural town with many historic sites and landmarks, including several old churches that were built during the late 19th century.
Politically, Roper leans conservatively and is represented by Republican lawmakers at both state and federal levels. In terms of economy, agriculture is still the primary industry in Roper but there has been an increase in tourism due to its historical significance as well as outdoor recreation opportunities nearby like fishing and hunting on Lake Phelps or canoeing down the Roanoke River.
In terms of education, there are two public schools located in Roper: Washington County High School and Washington County Middle School which both serve grades K-12. There are also several private schools located nearby for those who wish to pursue higher education or specialized studies.
When it comes to landmarks, some of the most popular ones include the old churches mentioned earlier as well as several historic homes from different time periods including one from 1803 that still stands today! Other attractions include nearby parks such as Jones Park which offers swimming pools, playgrounds, picnic areas, and walking trails as well as Lake Phelps where visitors can enjoy fishing or boating activities year round!
Population: 613. Estimated population in July 2020: 588 (-4.1% change)
Males: 264 (43.1%), Females: 349 (56.9%)
Zip code: 27970
Median resident age: 37.4 years
Median household income: $20,694
Median house value: $58,200
Races in Roper:
- Black (75.2%)
- White Non-Hispanic (19.7%)
- Hispanic (5.1%)
- Other race (3.4%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (6.2%), English (4.2%).
Elevation: 15 feet
Land area: 0.9 square miles
Roper, North Carolina is a small town located in the northeastern corner of the state. It has a population of about 2,000 people and is home to many families who have lived there for generations. The town is known for its friendly atmosphere and rural charm. The median household income in Roper is $45,000 and the cost of living is lower than the national average. There are a variety of housing options available, ranging from single family homes to apartments and condos. The town also offers many amenities such as parks, restaurants, retail stores and entertainment venues. Education in Roper is provided by two public schools, which offer a variety of educational opportunities for students from kindergarten through twelfth grade. Healthcare needs are met by several hospitals located in nearby towns as well as a number of clinics located within Roper itself. Overall, Roper provides its citizens with an affordable place to call home with access to quality education and healthcare services.
For population 25 years and over in Roper
- High school or higher: 64.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 7.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.1%
- Unemployed: 12.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 36.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Roper town
- Never married: 31.2%
- Now married: 41.2%
- Separated: 3.9%
- Widowed: 13.9%
- Divorced: 9.8%
3.8% Foreign born (3.8% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -56 (-8.4%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Roper:
- WASHINGTON COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 9 miles; PLYMOUTH, NC)
- CHOWAN HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; EDENTON, NC)
- PUNGO DISTRICT HOSPITAL (about 23 miles; BELHAVEN, NC)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Roper:
- PITT-GREENVILLE (about 56 miles; GREENVILLE, NC; Abbreviation: PGV)
- CRAVEN COUNTY REGIONAL (about 63 miles; NEW BERN, NC; Abbreviation: EWN)
- CHERRY POINT MCAS /CUNNINGHAM FIELD/ (about 70 miles; CHERRY POINT, NC; Abbreviation: NKT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Roper:
- NORTHEASTERN RGNL (about 11 miles; EDENTON, NC; Abbreviation: EDE)
- PLYMOUTH MUNI (about 11 miles; PLYMOUTH, NC; Abbreviation: PMZ)
- WARREN FIELD (about 36 miles; WASHINGTON, NC; Abbreviation: OCW)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Roper:
- EAST CAROLINA UNIVERSITY (about 55 miles; GREENVILLE, NC; Full-time enrollment: 16,633)
- PITT COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 55 miles; GREENVILLE, NC; Full-time enrollment: 3,072)
- TIDEWATER COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 71 miles; NORFOLK, VA; Full-time enrollment: 11,042)
- NORFOLK STATE UNIVERSITY (about 72 miles; NORFOLK, VA; Full-time enrollment: 5,820)
- ECPI COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 74 miles; VIRGINIA BEACH, VA; Full-time enrollment: 2,083)
- OLD DOMINION UNIVERSITY (about 78 miles; NORFOLK, VA; Full-time enrollment: 13,330)
- HAMPTON UNIVERSITY (about 81 miles; HAMPTON, VA; Full-time enrollment: 5,249)
Public primary/middle school in Roper:
- WASHINGTON COUNTY UNION (Students: 615; Location: 37 E MILL POND RD; Grades: 05 – 08)