GPS is known as the acronym “Global Positioning System” which in abbreviationfinder.org means “global positioning system”. The GPS is a navigation system based on 24 satellites (21 operational and 3 backup), in orbit on the planet earth that sends information about the position of a person or object at any time and weather conditions.
The GPS was created, installed and used in 1973 by the Department of Defense of the United States, at the beginning it was of unique and exclusive use for military operations but from the 80s the United States government allowed society civil enjoy this navigation system. GPS can be used on ships, trucks, airplanes, cars, among others. On the other hand, the GPS was designed with the objective that the user obtains knowledge about his position, information of the direction to which he is going, speed, approximate time of arrival, among other data. Some offer voice guidance, to instruct the driver on the movements he must perform to follow the correct direction, alternative routes, speed limitations, among others.
Now, to determine the position of an object, person or address, the GPS calculates the value of longitude, in reference to the Greenwich Meridian, the value of latitude and, finally, the value of altitude. To locate a point, at least four satellites are essential, and the GPS receiver receives the signals and time of each of them, and through the triangulation calculates the position where it is located. There are currently two types of satellite navigation systems: American GPS and the GLONASS controlled by the Russian Government. Also, the European Union tries to launch a satellite navigation system called Galileo.
A compass is an orientation instrument, which allows the traveler to be spatially located relative to the magnetic north by means of a magnetized needle. Based on Digopaul.com, it is a fundamental instrument for sailors, hikers, pilots, hunters, explorers, etc. The first compass arose in China. It was used primarily as a navigation instrument that allowed overseas travelers to orient themselves in space and define the path to follow, but it was not infallible. Over time, other compass systems were developed.
Parts of a compass
There are different types of compasses. All of them share basically three fundamental elements: a base with a ruler and a reference arrow; a limbo or graduated disc that rotates on its own axis and a magnetized needle pointing north.
Today there are many varieties of compass available, as the systems have been perfected with the advancement of technology. Within the basic range of compasses, the following can be mentioned:
The magnetic compass, the oldest of all, allows orientation through the magnetized needle system that points towards the magnetic north pole of the earth, that is, from the identification of the Earth’s magnetic field.
The gyroscopic compass or gyro always looks to the geographical north and not to the magnetic one, since it uses a set of rings and a disk aligned according to a rotation axis, the inner and outer axis, which are perpendicular to each other. Other types of compasses can be the limbo compass, lentistic compass, cartographic compass, electronic compass and mobile phone compass. The latter depends on the availability of the network at the site of the scan, so it may be unsafe.
- What is the Definition of Praise? - Praise is the action of praising. Praise, as such, refers to the action of celebrating something positive with words. Hence, praises are, fundamentally, statements that exalt the value or virtue of a person, of a place, an object, an idea or a divine being. In this way, praise is the act of celebrating the good, of glorifying an achievement, of recognizing […]
- What is the Definition of ALADI? - ALADI is known as the acronym of the Latin American Integration Association, an intergovernmental organization that seeks to promote economic and social development among its members. ALADI is made up of 13 member countries that include Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Cuba, Ecuador, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela, being open to the request of accession of any […]
- What is the Definition of Wormwood? - Wormwood is a herbaceous plant, whose scientific name is Artemisa Absinthium, which is characterized by its medicinal properties and bitter taste. Wormwood is a plant of the genus Artemisia and is native to the temperate regions of Europe, Asia and North Africa. This herbaceous plant is known as wormwood in Mexico, Spain and other countries in Europe and Latin America. […]
- What is the Definition of Absorption? - The term absorption indicates the action of absorbing. However, it is mainly used to refer to the retention of a substance by molecules that another possesses either in a liquid or gaseous state. The word absorption can be used in various areas such as physics, chemistry, biology or economics, so it can have different uses and meanings. Absorption […]
- What is the Definition of Absolutism? - Absolutism was a system of government, typical of traditional monarchies, in which all power was exercised by the king. It was inscribed in the historical period known as the Old Regime, which extended from the 16th century, with the formation of modern states, until the 18th, when it reached its peak in the reign of Louis […]
- What is the Definition of Absenteeism? - Absenteeism, also known as absenteeism, is to physically or mentally miss systematic teaching or the workplace. Absenteeism derives from English absentee, which begins to be used in 1829 to refer to English landowners in Ireland who were rarely present, plus the suffix -ism. Only in 1922 did the concept begin to be used to refer to the absence of students […]
- What is the Definition of Abscess? - An infection and purulent inflammation of the body tissue that can occur in any part of the body, which is caused by bacteria, parasites or foreign substances, is known as an abscess. The word abscess is of Latin origin abscessus, which means ‘leaving, moving or moving away from a site’. Abscesses are defense mechanisms that attempt to isolate an area […]
- What is the Definition of Abrogate? - It is known as repealing the abolition, or revocation of a law, code, regulation or any other legal provision. As such, it is a term that is closely related to the legal field since it consists in completely rendering a practice, habit or custom of something through a legal precept. For the repeal of a law, norm, precept, […]