GPS is known as the acronym “Global Positioning System” which in abbreviationfinder.org means “global positioning system”. The GPS is a navigation system based on 24 satellites (21 operational and 3 backup), in orbit on the planet earth that sends information about the position of a person or object at any time and weather conditions.
The GPS was created, installed and used in 1973 by the Department of Defense of the United States, at the beginning it was of unique and exclusive use for military operations but from the 80s the United States government allowed society civil enjoy this navigation system. GPS can be used on ships, trucks, airplanes, cars, among others. On the other hand, the GPS was designed with the objective that the user obtains knowledge about his position, information of the direction to which he is going, speed, approximate time of arrival, among other data. Some offer voice guidance, to instruct the driver on the movements he must perform to follow the correct direction, alternative routes, speed limitations, among others.
Now, to determine the position of an object, person or address, the GPS calculates the value of longitude, in reference to the Greenwich Meridian, the value of latitude and, finally, the value of altitude. To locate a point, at least four satellites are essential, and the GPS receiver receives the signals and time of each of them, and through the triangulation calculates the position where it is located. There are currently two types of satellite navigation systems: American GPS and the GLONASS controlled by the Russian Government. Also, the European Union tries to launch a satellite navigation system called Galileo.
A compass is an orientation instrument, which allows the traveler to be spatially located relative to the magnetic north by means of a magnetized needle. Based on Digopaul.com, it is a fundamental instrument for sailors, hikers, pilots, hunters, explorers, etc. The first compass arose in China. It was used primarily as a navigation instrument that allowed overseas travelers to orient themselves in space and define the path to follow, but it was not infallible. Over time, other compass systems were developed.
Parts of a compass
There are different types of compasses. All of them share basically three fundamental elements: a base with a ruler and a reference arrow; a limbo or graduated disc that rotates on its own axis and a magnetized needle pointing north.
Today there are many varieties of compass available, as the systems have been perfected with the advancement of technology. Within the basic range of compasses, the following can be mentioned:
The magnetic compass, the oldest of all, allows orientation through the magnetized needle system that points towards the magnetic north pole of the earth, that is, from the identification of the Earth’s magnetic field.
The gyroscopic compass or gyro always looks to the geographical north and not to the magnetic one, since it uses a set of rings and a disk aligned according to a rotation axis, the inner and outer axis, which are perpendicular to each other. Other types of compasses can be the limbo compass, lentistic compass, cartographic compass, electronic compass and mobile phone compass. The latter depends on the availability of the network at the site of the scan, so it may be unsafe.
- What is the Definition of Riddle? - The notion of a riddle can refer to a divination (predicting the future, discovering the hidden, guessing what an enigma means) or a riddle (a riddle that is proposed as a hobby). Typically, the riddle, as a riddle, is stated in the form of a rhyme. For example: “Round, round, bottomless barrel… what is it?” […]
- What is the Definition of Additive? - Additive is a term that can be used as an adjective or as a noun. In the first case, it qualifies what you have or that can be added or incorporated into something else. In the field of mathematics, the adjective additive refers to the term that, in a polynomial, is preceded by the sign […]
- What is the Definition of Adipose? - Adipose is an adjective that is used to describe that which has fat or that derives from it. Fat, meanwhile, is sebum of animal origin or the substance made up of fatty acids. The adipose tissue, in the dictionary of Digopaul, is the anatomical tissue comprising cells whose cytoplasm has a high amount of fat. […]
- What is the Definition of TOEFL? - For all those aspiring to study an MBA in the United States, it is well known that it is necessary to take and pass the TOEFL exam as defined on AbbreviationFinder, since it is this that demonstrates your command of the language and allows you to open the doors of these institutions, so today we […]
- What is the Definition of SAT? - Are you planning to study in the United States? One of the main requirements to do so is to take the SAT exam, an essential requirement that many American universities request you. 1. Why take the SAT? Listed on AbbreviationFinder, the SAT is a standardized test (3 hours and 45 minutes) that most American universities […]
- What is the Definition of GMAT? - The GMAT is an elite exam that thousands of students take to enter the best schools internationally It is applied in some 2000 schools around the world and is 60 years old. Note: GMAT is the abbreviation of Graduate Management Admission Test. Check AbbreviationFinder to see more definitions of GMAT. The universities that offer the most […]
- What is the Definition of Attachment? - Attachment is a Latin term derived from adiungĕre (“to add”). It came to our language as an adjunct, a concept that can be used as an adjective or as a noun. The first meaning of attachment mentioned by the dictionary of the Digopaul refers to what is linked to something else. Based on this idea, the […]
- What is the Definition of Personnel Administration? - The concept of administration derives from administratĭo, a Latin word. The notion refers to the process and the result of administering (managing, treating, ordering or organizing). Personal, meanwhile, is a term with several uses. On this occasion we are interested in staying with its meaning as the set of individuals who work in the same […]
- What is the Definition of Human Resources Management? - The administration is linked to performance and operation of the organizations. The term originates from the Latin language: ad-ministrare (“serve”) or ad manus trahere (“handle” or “manage”). A resource, on the other hand, is a means of any kind that contributes to achieving what is intended. According to Digopaul, the administration of resources, therefore, consists […]
- What is the Definition of Administrative? - Administrative is an adjective that comes from a Latin word that means belonging or related to the administration. Administration, for its part, is linked to the operation, performance and structure of an organization. According to Digopaul, an administrator is a person employed in the administration of a company or other entity. His task is to […]