GPS is known as the acronym “Global Positioning System” which in abbreviationfinder.org means “global positioning system”. The GPS is a navigation system based on 24 satellites (21 operational and 3 backup), in orbit on the planet earth that sends information about the position of a person or object at any time and weather conditions.
The GPS was created, installed and used in 1973 by the Department of Defense of the United States, at the beginning it was of unique and exclusive use for military operations but from the 80s the United States government allowed society civil enjoy this navigation system. GPS can be used on ships, trucks, airplanes, cars, among others. On the other hand, the GPS was designed with the objective that the user obtains knowledge about his position, information of the direction to which he is going, speed, approximate time of arrival, among other data. Some offer voice guidance, to instruct the driver on the movements he must perform to follow the correct direction, alternative routes, speed limitations, among others.
Now, to determine the position of an object, person or address, the GPS calculates the value of longitude, in reference to the Greenwich Meridian, the value of latitude and, finally, the value of altitude. To locate a point, at least four satellites are essential, and the GPS receiver receives the signals and time of each of them, and through the triangulation calculates the position where it is located. There are currently two types of satellite navigation systems: American GPS and the GLONASS controlled by the Russian Government. Also, the European Union tries to launch a satellite navigation system called Galileo.
A compass is an orientation instrument, which allows the traveler to be spatially located relative to the magnetic north by means of a magnetized needle. Based on Digopaul.com, it is a fundamental instrument for sailors, hikers, pilots, hunters, explorers, etc. The first compass arose in China. It was used primarily as a navigation instrument that allowed overseas travelers to orient themselves in space and define the path to follow, but it was not infallible. Over time, other compass systems were developed.
Parts of a compass
There are different types of compasses. All of them share basically three fundamental elements: a base with a ruler and a reference arrow; a limbo or graduated disc that rotates on its own axis and a magnetized needle pointing north.
Today there are many varieties of compass available, as the systems have been perfected with the advancement of technology. Within the basic range of compasses, the following can be mentioned:
The magnetic compass, the oldest of all, allows orientation through the magnetized needle system that points towards the magnetic north pole of the earth, that is, from the identification of the Earth’s magnetic field.
The gyroscopic compass or gyro always looks to the geographical north and not to the magnetic one, since it uses a set of rings and a disk aligned according to a rotation axis, the inner and outer axis, which are perpendicular to each other. Other types of compasses can be the limbo compass, lentistic compass, cartographic compass, electronic compass and mobile phone compass. The latter depends on the availability of the network at the site of the scan, so it may be unsafe.
- What is the Definition of Disclosure Requirement? - As an entrepreneur, you are certainly proud of your economic success. You can too, because you’ve invested a lot in it. But despite all the pride, many entrepreneurs like you are not particularly interested in disclosing as little information as possible. But depending on which legal form you have chosen for your company, there is […]
- What is the Definition of Certificate of Entry? - If you want to deliver goods to other EU countries, you have to adhere to certain proof requirements with regard to the tax exemption. In general, deliveries outside of the European Union are exempt from sales tax. However, only if certain requirements are met and the entrepreneur submits a certificate of entry to the tax […]
- What is the Definition of Book Value? - The term “book value” can be used in a wide variety of economic contexts. Be it on the topic of stock trading or company valuations. In this post we look at the various aspects and show you the importance of book value for your entrepreneurship. What is a book value? In the corporate sense, the […]
- What is the Definition of NPS? - Very few companies can survive on the market in the long term if they are only designed for quick turnover. In today’s world, factors such as customer satisfaction and customer loyalty play an important role in the success of a company. It is therefore extremely important to keep these two factors in mind. In order […]
- What is the Definition of Red Pirate Fish? - When you hear the name “pirate fish”, it makes many people shudder. The pirate fish is subject to a lot of mystery, and there are several stories about the small fish’s deadly instincts towards animals but also towards humans. A pirate fish is able to peel the meat of an animal in just a few minutes. However, it […]
- What is the Definition of Giraffe? - The giraffe – the highest animal in the savannah. The giraffe is the world’s tallest living land animal and the largest ruminant in the world. The giraffe is called Giraffa camelopardalis in Latin. The reason it is called camelopardalis was because the Romans believed that the giraffe was a mixture of a camel and a […]
- What is the Definition of Cyberbullying? - The internet and social networks have long been an integral part of life for most people. But what many perceive to be an enrichment of everyday life is also a popular tool for cyberbullying. They want to make life difficult for other people. But how does cyberbullying arise and how can those affected defend themselves […]
- What is the Definition of Cyber Monday? - Birthdays, weddings, Christmas or Easter – there are plenty of occasions to give gifts to one another. Bargain days like the famous Black Friday or Cyber Monday seem particularly attractive. On these days, many things are offered at exceptionally low prices, in almost all product categories. Cyber Monday offers customers the opportunity to buy many […]
- What is the Definition of Darknet? - The Darknet is a part of the Internet that cannot be reached by Google search. It’s a place where anonymity prevails – users use the Tor browser to disguise their identity. This enables journalists, politically persecuted people, oppositionists in totalitarian states and people in countries that censor the Internet to communicate via the Darknet without […]
- What is the Definition of Data Protection? - The term “data protection” originated in the second half of the 20th century, but it is defined differently. Some interpretations understand data protection in particular as protection against unauthorized data processing, other definitions emphasize the protection of privacy. Many people understand data protection as a fundamental right, according to which each person can decide for […]